Friday, September 7, 2018

Drip edge die Tim Holtz

Hello fellow crafter,

Last week I made a couple of Halloween cards using the Drip Edge Die by Tim Holtz. This week I used the die in a different way. I made a chocolate cake card and a S'mores card, using this very die.
This die made my head spin with ideas, from slime and blood to icing and melted marshmallows.

Here is a step by step tutorial on how I made my S'mores card. I will also do a recap on the other cards I made, but I didn't take pics while making them, so I hope you get the idea anyway.

To create the look of the crackers, I cut a square Kraft card blank with a pair of scalloped scissors. I cut away more on the top to create a 3D effect. 

I used a background stamp and Distress Oxide to create a bit of the illusion of a cracker. 

I inked the edges with Ground espresso Distress ink to give it a bit more oomph, and make it look less like a card, and more like a yummy cookie.

What is a s'more without chocolate? I cut a piece of brown card stock and covered the edges that will peep out of the card with embossing ink. I heat embossed it with Just Java embossing powder by Emerald Creek Craft Supplies. I could have used the Chocolate Dream one, but I wanted to go for a darker shade, so I went for the coffee one. So this card will smell like coffee :-).

For my marshmallow I cut two drips and cut the longer drips off, so it looks more marshmallowy lol.

I cover them with embossing ink and heat emboss them with Vanilla Sugar embossing powder, also from Emerald Creek. It smells divine and gives the drips a lush look. 

I glue the "marshmallow" strips on the back of the "top cracker" and then glue the "chocolate" over that. So when you close the card it looks like a s'more!

And this is what it looks like. The metal tag is only there to prevent the pic from being pinched ;-).

This is the cake card I made. I inked a piece of TH heavy card stock with ground espresso DI. Then inked a part in the middle with an embossing ink dabber and heat embossed it with Chocolate Dream embossing powder. This will be the "filling" of the cake so to speak. 
The icing is again the drip die heatembossed with the Vanilla Sugar. I spritzed the "cake" with water to give it some interest. The sentiment is a no brainer haha. I stamped it with archival ink on white card stock and inked it with Antique linen DI and the edge with walnut stain DI. 
And there you have a paper chocolate cake!

This slime card was the first idea I had with the die. I stamped the bugs from the Entymology stamp set by Tim Holtz with lifted off Alcohol ink. The new Lift Ink from Ranger is the best thing since the Oxides! I inked over the images with Wilted Violet, Carved Pumpkin and Twisted Citron DI. I splattered some water and dried it. I inked the edges with walnut stain DI, like I do most of my projects. The sentiment I stamped with archival ink. I pressed my finger on my Mowed lawn DI pad and made the finger prints. The drips are heat embossed with Apple Martini green embossing powder. I just love the look of that slime!!! I stamped some cobwebs on black cardstock with picket fence DI and mounted it all on a card blank. 

And last but not least my bloody Halloween card. I inked a piece of Kraft resist Seasonal paper from Tim Holtz. I finally gathered the courage to cut it into card topper sized pieces, after it has been in my stash for years. Again I used Twisted Citron, Carved Pumpkin and Wilted Violet DI. I used the Damask stencil and Black soot DO to give it more texture and I used the black with the word Boo from the Halloween Script stencil. I used carved pumpkin Distress crayon through the pumpkin stencil and Antique Linen DC with the Skull stencil. It gives the card a bit more texture. The drip I inked with Festive Berries distress ink and covered it with Spiced Candy embossing powder, which is a glorious transluscent red and smells like cinnamon. I used red paint to add some "blood" on the edges of the card and the finger prints. The ribbon I stained with my Halloween trinity Twisted Citron, Carved pumpkin and wilted violet Distress stain. I dried it and added the bow to the card. I have various bow tutorials on my blog if you fancy a look. I added a metal skull from my stash to the bow and still it was missing something. I had a skull laying around I made from paper clay and a mold, so I added that, after I gave it some personality with a distress marker, old paper I believe. The paper clay soaks it right up!

And this concludes my hommage to the Drip Edge Die by Tim Holtz and Sizzix. 
Thank you for taking the time to read my rather lengthy post. 

I hope to see you again here.

Thank you and take care, and....

Keep your craft on!

Freddie
Xox



12 comments:

  1. Amazing tutorial, i love the 3D shape of it & the use of aroma embossing powders sooo clever & creative. Well done my bestie. Keep up the awesome work xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bestie!! This is amazingly cool!! Love the effects of one die done three different ways. You’re a rock star 🤩🤩🤩

    ReplyDelete
  3. FABULOUS tutorial (as always), Doll!!! Gosh...I don’t know which element of the S’MORES card I love more...you put SO much thought and creativity into each part! I’m with Christina, in her statement, above...taking that die and applying it so many different ways! WOW!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww Mellimel you always know how to make someone's day!! Love you to pieces xoxoxox

      Delete
  4. I love your creative mind! What a great way to use that drip die! The s'mores is so clever! But each of your samples are stunning! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are too kind dear Sarah! Thanks so much for your kind words. Hugs from Holland xox

      Delete
  5. I have loved seeing each and every one of these amazingly creative uses for a superb die, but it would not have happened without your brilliant mind! Your cards are such works of art Freddie! Bravo! And of course, thank you so much for sharing your awesome cards and inspiring all of us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG Ann you are the sweetest! Your kind words mean so much to me. Thank you so much for being such a big inspiration yourself xoxox

      Delete
  6. So clever my friend, I love all of them!!!! xo xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so so much my dear friend. Your kind words go straight to my heart xoxox

      Delete