Follow by Email

Friday, October 4, 2019

Pirate chest out of paper tutorial

Hello,

I hope you are having a wonderful day. A while back I made a treasure chest for my altered coins (see my previous post), all out of paper. Below you find a step by step tutorial.



I started out with an Eileen Hull Bigx XL die called Candy Drawer. I used two cuts of the circled part. I taped them together to make a wider box. This is the base I made the chest from.

This is the two parts taped together. As you can see I scored the top, as that needs to have the shape of the lid of the treasure chest. The rest of the scores are done by the die itself.

I am not holding this in quite the right angle, but you get the idea. I looked at how I want the shape to be and traced that and cut the sides out.


I cut the sides and made sure to add tabs for glueing it all together. I covered the "lid" with some weathered leather looking paper from an older TH paper pad. The rest of the chest I will paint black.

Here the box partly put together. One more side to glue, and then the outside can be decorated.

I want to cover the outside with wooden planks. So I stained a piece of watercolor cardstock with tea dye distress stain and embossed it with the 3D Lumber texture fade. This will be the base for making my planks.

I cut quite a few planks with the TH planks die, and also cut trim to size out of grunge board. Those will be the studded parts of the chest.



I used almost all my brows of the Distress ink palette to add depth to my planks. I used my ink blending tools and my fingers. Sometimes fingers are the best tools around ;-)

Apperantly I missed taking pics of how I made the trim. It is pieces of grungeboard that I painted with tarnished brass and antique bronze. Then sanded it a bit and inked it with ground espresso Distress ink. Then added the square brads and glued them over the planks that I already glued on the lid. I added a "lock" so I can close the chest.

I inked up some TH hinges with Mushroom alcohol ink to give them an aged look, and fastened them to the lid with brads.

Just above the lock I stuck a Jolly Roger from Ideaology, after I inked it with Mushroom ink. This completes the pirate look!

I forgot to mention that I cut the lid off from the base, this makes it easier to add the hinges. Here you see the base, with the planks added and the studded trim. 



This is the finished chest after I added two handles and four box corners. They are also inked with mushroom ink to age them.

And here it is, the pirate treasure chest filled with gems and coins. How I made those, I will reveal in the next tutorial ;-)

Thank you so much for stepping by.
Take care and keep your craft on!

Freddie 
xox