Wednesday, July 5, 2017

Heat embossing on glass

I have been toying with the idea of heat embossing on glass for a while now.  After I saw it done on the Emerald Creek Dare blog, and decided to take the plunge.

I have been addicted to olives for a while now and the ones we buy come in these huge pretty jars. I wanted to recycle thwm and give them a make over so that they can be used as a decorative piece, or even as a useful jar.

After I finished making this one, I decided it was too pretty to give away or just sit somehwere, so I kept it for myself and keep my crinkle ribbon in it. I always pre cut me ribbon to the length I need to make my fluffy bows. And now instead of a plastic ice cream tub, they are kept in my pretty jar!!

Here is how I transforned my glass jar with lid....

I started with the lid. I cut a piece of cotton fabric to size. In this case from an old bed sheet.
And I stamp it with archival ink to give it a country style look. This sap green is almost identical to bundled sage distress ink. The relevance will make sense later *wink wink*

I trimmed most of the excess fabric off, I will trim some more once the lid is done. 

I stuck the fabric to my lid using two sided tape. I made sure I put it on there really tight.

Normally the fabric is tied around the "neck" of the jar with string or ribbon, but that means I would have to untie that everytime I use the jar. So I decided to make a faux tied lid, so I can open the jar more easily.

I put double sided tape on tge edge of my lid, to create the illusion of a tied up lid. 


My phone acted up and didn't save the pics I took of staining my ribbon and putting it on the double sided tape. So I will try and describe what I did. The ribbon is stained with distress ink in the colour Bundled Sage. So now it matches the fabric. I stuck the piece of ribbon on the tape on the rim of the lid. I made sure I had enough ribbon to tie my fluffy bow. I tied my bow the same way I do on my tags and cards. I must say that I LOOOOOOVE how it turned out!

Now onto the jar itself!

I want a plaid print on my jar. To do this I used the plaid stamp by Tim Holtz, embossing ink and the glorious Aurora Stone Blue embossing powder by Emerald Creek Craft Supplies.

I stamped the image on the jar with embossing ink and the unmounted cling stamp. I didn't put it on a block so I could press it along the curves of the jar. I didn't press too hard at the edges as I didn't want it to look too tidy. Then I took my heat tool and embossed it. It takes a while as the glass heats up much slower than paper, obviously. But once it heats up it melts quickly. And after it cools down it stays put. I scratched my nails over it and nothing chipped off! I was quite surrised about that! Yaaaaay!!!

 

I am soooo pleased with the outcome of this experiment. I am so keeping this jar on my desk :-)

Thank you for taking the time to visit and read my blog. I hope to see you here again. 

Take care and keep your craft on!

Freddie
xxx




10 comments:

  1. So clever. You can customize all of your storage. These would make lovely gifts too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow I didn't know this was possible. Just brilliant. I don't have any suitable stamps otherwise I would try this too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! This was an experiment gone right hahaha. You can do it with any stamp. It is so much fun to do!

      Delete
  3. Lachen dit zeg. Nog niet eerder gezien zo.🙌 zal ik glazen potjes voor je sparen?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha nou ik heb al een hele verzameling die wacht om onder handen genomen te worden hahaha

      Delete
  4. Lovely jar! I just found your site. I am ready to explore and learn.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much for your kind words and for visiting my blog :-).
    Have a wonderful day

    Freddie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so much for your kind words and for visiting my blog :-).
    Have a wonderful day

    Freddie

    ReplyDelete