Tuesday, April 17, 2018

Faux Delft Ware tutorial

A while back I started having a Delft Blue craft phase. I made cards and tags inspired by the traditional Dutch Delft Blue style. As people got very excited about it, I decided to do a step by step tutorial.

This is what I use, cobalt and shadow grey archival ink. A crackle stamp, a border stamp, a focal stamp and ofcourse card stock. Oh and post its or tape. 

I stamp the crackle background first. I found that this looks better at the end. I tried it the other way round, the blue first and then the grey, but this way makes the crackle stand out more under the blue. 

I stick the post its on the corners, you can use painter's tape also. This way you control where the borders end. 

The new trims stamps by Tim Holtz are perfect for this look!

You stamp all sides. Wait till you pull away the tape/post its!! Instant tile look!

See what I mean??


Now stamp the focal image in the same blue and you have a perfect Delft Blue masterpiece!

I always like to ink the edges of my projects with walnut stain distress ink, it somehow finishes it off and gives it a vintage look.

I like to mount these on dark blue card blanks to emphasise the blue. And you are done!

Thank you for stepping by. 
Take care and keep your craft on!
Freddie
xox





20 comments:

  1. So thrilled you shared your technique for these AMAZING cards you have been creating! They are so gorgeous and absolutely Delft looking. I think I have some trims on the patchwork stamp set so now slightly need is the crackle background,which I KNOW I will use a lot! Thank you so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Ann for having a look! These are so easy and so addictive to make. You make one and a new one pops in your head... xox

      Delete
  2. Dang girlie! I just LOVE it and you did a tutorial for us! Fantastic!!!! You know I'm going to make this for my Mom for Mother's Day!!!! Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Bestie! I cannot wait to see your take on this technique! Love ya right back!!

      Delete
  3. WoW Bestie!!! You did awesome at the crackling! Looks authentic. Thanks so much for sharing your lovely creativity xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally need to try this. I love everything you’ve been making with this technique!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Jess!! It is rather addictive... but hey what in crafting isn't right?!?! Lol

      Delete
  5. Thank you so much dear Freddie for sharing this step by step tutoria,so beautiful card & i in love with these duch stamps, it reminds me of me Netherlands visit xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shoukran my lovely. You can use any stamp you want, it is all about the colour! Xox

      Delete
  6. It looks great, as usual! Thanks so much for sharing.😘

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! Such a great technique! Thanks for sharing this! I'm going to have to find a crackle background stamp now so I can start playing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Utterly gorgeous and thanks for the tute my lovely friend :-) I am going shopping!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that is the biggest compliment! My tutorial inspires and you need to go shopping hahahaha. Thanks my friend xox

      Delete
  9. You are just SOOOOOO talented!!!!!! 💙💙💙💙💙
    I am just proud to call you my friend!!!! 💙💙💙💙💙

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You always say the sweetest things my friend. Thank you for always rooting for me and encouraging me. I long for the day to give you a bestie hug again.

      Delete